First Month's "Scouting" Report.


It's only been a month but I can honestly say my time in the Pharmacology program has been action packed. I knew prior to my enrollment that it would test me on multiple fronts. I often think back to my undergraduate journey and laugh at the differences in course loads. One of the biggest areas I've improved upon was my preparation prior to coming to class. Coming to lectures prepared made class time seem like a review session but there is still room for improvement. If I staying consistent with my preparation, find more creative ways to reinforcement my learning(annoying my roommates with mini-lectures walking through CVS) and attend more tutoring sessions my next module exam score will speak for itself.  

This past weekend I took advantage of the opportunity to volunteer at LSU's annual Girl Scout BIG(Believe In Every Girl) event. The extravaganza  brought in girl scouts from all over and engaged them with hands-on demonstrations and activities focusing on STEM, life skills, the outdoors, entrepreneurship, civic action, and the arts. I was stationed at the Association for Women in Science(AWIS) where we had numerous activities to encourage future scientists. 


The biggest problem was getting past the girls initial look of confusion when they first glanced at our table to see PPE gear, micropipettes, microscopes and eppendorf tubes. But once we reeled them in they were excited to dive into the world of science. I led the charge with the "Dress like a Scientist" station. Recruiting every passing girl scout to transform them into a scientist equipping them with lab coats, gloves, gowns, and googles. The mini-scientists would then travel through neighboring stations learning how to properly use pipettes and microscopes.


I honestly didn't know what to expect volunteering at a girl scouting event. Initially I felt a little out of place being one of few males at an event to promote women empowerment. That feeling was soon whisked away after each smile from the girl scouts. Was I out of place? No. I was where I needed to be as an ally for young women and promoter of STEM. I left with the belief that my efforts inspired the young girl scouts and possibly future scientist!





Service hours: 3 (9am-12pm)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April(The Final Hello)

February 2020

December 2019